Industry raises more than £10,000 for Hospitality Action Week 2013!
Hospitality workers across the UK raised a fantastic £10,000+ for industry charity Hospitality Action earlier this month, when they joined forces to show their support for the charity’s annual fundraising event, HA Week.
Companies got up to a whole host of innovative and engaging activities to raise funds to support their fellow industry workers in crisis.
Red Carnation hotels lived up to their excellent reputation for creative fundraising once again, generating a staggering £5,000 by organising an array of fundraising activities including a poker night, a cook-off between different nationalities at the hotels, a yummy bake-off and a 5k run.
Other companies and colleges also participated – here’s a snapshot of what they got up to:
- Bunzl Catering Supplies led the way with a co-ordinated week-long series of fundraising events, raising £3297.49
- The London Linen Supply who once again donated £200
- Even HA’s agencies got involved, with Jellybean Creative Solutions raising £250 with their ‘Count the Jellybean competition and Mercieca raising £65 through its office cake sale
- University College Birmingham hosted a chocolate-themed night, with a four-course meal devised by four renowned Barry Callebaut chocolate ambassadors, including Michelin-starred chef Alan Murchison. This raised a very impressive £1,280.
- Stoke on Trent College prepared a three-course lunch live in front of diners and held a guess-the-weight-of-the-cake competition.
- City of Bristol College with The Chefs’ Forum kicked off the week of fundraising activities with 30 students rowing the equivalent distance of a round trip from London to Paris to raise money.
- Private hire taxi operator Manchester Cars donated 20p to Hospitality Action for every journey booked during HA Week, raising £402.
- Holiday Inn Express Winchester and Manchester took part in the ultimate bike race and raised £1,519 for the charity. The two hotels teamed up to cycle 246 miles, the distance between their two properties, in the shortest amount of time. Can you guess who won? Winchester did!
- The Cavendish made the most of British Sandwich Week coinciding with Hospitality Action Week by donating £2 from each sandwich sold, as well as holding an Australian-themed lunch, having an ice cream van, chiropodist, bake sale, pub quiz, and a raffle to win an extra week’s holiday, raising £515. Ema Tukiran, Assistant HR Manager, The Cavendish London said: “Hospitality Action Week is always a fun-filled week at the Cavendish. Our fundraising activities mean that our team members get a treat alongside raising money for Hospitality Action. Everyone gets involved with our bake sale and raffle and no one can resist a treat from the ice-cream van, whatever the weather! People are always thrilled to see the final total of what we have raised and love to see their contribution, no matter how big or small, go to such a worthy cause.”
One of the other highlights of the week was the ‘At your discretion’ appeal, which encouraged restaurants to add a discretionary £1 to diners’ bills in support of Hospitality Action during HA Week. Hotel restaurants were especially supportive; Heston Blumenthal’s two pubs The Hinds Head and The Crown, ABode Hotels, Brown’s, Tyddyn Llan and Park Plaza Group hotels across London also all took part and raised impressive sums for Hospitality Action. The appeal is also set to continue beyond HA Week for those keen to support the charity in this way.
Missed out on HA Week? Show your support by simply texting 70070 with the code HAWK13 £5, to donate £5 to HA Week.