Baked Redcurrant & Clove Glazed Ham
- 1.5kg boneless gammon or ham joint (smoked or unsmoked)
- 15 juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 orange zest, finely grated
- 1/2 orange, juiced
- 10-20 cloves, to taste
- Put ham in a large lidded pan, cover with cold water and bring slowly to the boil. Drain and discard water.
- Return ham to pan, cover with fresh cold water, add juniper berries and bay leaves and bring to the boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer, part covered for 1 hour or until cooked. Drain and discard berries.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Put redcurrant jelly in a small pan with mustard, zest and orange juice. Stir and simmer over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes until reduced and thickened to a syrupy consistency.
- Once ham has cooled slightly, remove and discard the skin, leaving an outer layer of fat.
- Pat the fat dry with kitchen towel, then score the meat diagonally. Change direction and score again to create a diamond pattern. Press the cloves evenly into the fat and spoon the redcurrant glaze over the top.
- Put ham into a roasting tin and bake for 2530 minutes, basting the joint occasionally until the top is golden and caramelised. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 15 minutes before serving.