Cod Popcorn with Cucumber & Potato Salad
- Plain flour 150g
- Baking powder 2 ½ tsp
- Milk 125ml
- Cod fillet 200g boneless, cut into 1cm cubes
- Shallots 2 chopped
- Spring onions 2 chopped
- Vegetable oil 1l
- Salt & pepper pinch
- Potatoes 4 large
- Buttermilk 2 tbsp
- Cucumber 1 peeled and cut into ribbons
- Mayonnaise 2 tbsp
- Chives 1 bunch, chopped
- Prepare cod batter by mixing flour, baking powder and milk. Whisk until it forms a thick pancake-like batter.
- Add diced cod, shallots, spring onions, salt and pepper to mixture. Fold together and put to one side
- Rinse and scrub potatoes. Make cylinder shapes using an apple core
- Add potatoes to large pan of boiling, salted water, simmer for 15 minutes on low heat until almost cooked. Drain carefully
- Heat deep fat fryer to 150°C
- Using a teaspoon, put cod in hot oil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until golden.
- Remove cod and drain on kitchen towel.
- Combine potato and cucumber together in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix the mayonnaise, buttermilk and chives and pour over potato and cucumber.
- To Serve
Arrange cod popcorn on plates and serve
with the salad
Sign up to receive an electronic version of Take Stock Magazine