Coeliac Christmas Cake
- Mixed dried fruit 450g
- Natural glace cherries 50g chopped
- Unsalted butter 225g cut into small cubes
- Caster sugar 250g
- Large eggs 2, beaten
- Black treacle 2 tbsps
- Gluten-free flour mix 290g (for 1kg of flour, mix 700g white rice flour (Tesco, Holland & Barrett, online) with 200g potato flour and Tapioca flour 100g (Holland & Barrett, Sainsburys, online).
- Bicarbonate of soda 1/2 tsp
- Cream of tartar 1/2 tsp
- Xanthan gum 1 tsp
- Mixed spice 2 tsps (check it’s the gluten-free variety)
- Melted butter and gluten-free flour to prepare the tin
- Place the fruit, butter, sugar and 200ml of cold water in a stainless steel pan and bring to boil, stirring. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover and set aside until cold.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F or gas mark 4). Line a 23cm round, 8cm deep springform cake tin with a layer of baking parchment, brush with melted butter and then dust with a little gluten-free flour.
- Place the cold fruit mixture in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Cook well until risen and dark brown, about one hour. Remove from oven and cool completely. Wrapped in foil, the cake will keep for up to a week.