- 2oz/50g butter
- 2oz/50g brown sugar
- 7oz/200g currants
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 9oz/250g puff pastry
- 1 egg, separated
- 2oz/50g caster sugar
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together.
- Add the currants and spices, and cook for five minutes until the spice and butter are absorbed by the currants.
- Roll the puff pastry out into an 8mm thick sheet.
- Using a glass about 12cm wide, cut the puff pastry into discs.
- Put a spoonful of currants into the centre of the disc of pastry.
- Paint a little egg yolk onto the edge and put another disc on the top.
- Squeeze the edges to seal the cakes and then paint them all over with egg white.
- Sprinkle the cakes with caster sugar and bake for 15 minutes until well-browned and crispy.