Fragrant Steamed Mussels
Mussels are a great source of protein, and are low in fat and calories, they are also relatively inexpensive to buy and this steamed mussels recipe in particular is so easy to prepare.
- 500g of Fresh mussels
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli bean sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 fresh red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp spring onions, finely shredded
- 3 tbsp groundnut or peanut oil
- Fresh coriander sprigs to garnish
- Scrub the mussels clean. Discard any that don’t close when tapped gently.
- Set up a steamer or put a rack in a wok and fill it with 5cm of water. Bring the water in the wok to the boil over a high heat. Place the mussels in the steamer or on to the rack (for the rack, now turn the heat low so the water is barely boiling and cover the wok) and steam the mussels gently for five mins until they begin to open.
- Meanwhile, combine all the sauce ingredients except the oil in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. When hot, add the oil and heat it until it’s very hot and slightly smoking. Take the hot oil and pour it over the sauce ingredients. Stir and then pour over the mussels.
- Garnish with fresh coriander sprigs and serve immediately.