Mushroom, Black Autumn Truffle & Kidney Stuffing
Makes enough to stuff a medium-sized shoulder of lamb
- 120g wild mushroom, finely chopped
- 4 fresh lamb kidneys, blanched, peeled and minced
- 120g raw lamb, minced
- 60g foie gras
- Fresh black truffle, finely sliced or minced
- 3 tbsp shallots, minced
- 3 tbsp cognac
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme and rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs (if needed)
- Heat butter and oil in a pan and once the foam has begun to subside add the mushrooms.
- Sauté until they separate from each other and add the kidneys and shallots with a little more butter if needed. Sauté, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in cognac and herbs; boil down rapidly for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, mash foie gras with a fork and stir in along with the minced lamb and truf fles. Season carefully to taste. If the mixture seems too damp or loose stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Use to stuff a medium-sized boned leg or shoulder of lamb.
- When ready to serve the meat, top with a few fresh slivers of black truffle.
Sign up to receive an electronic version of Take Stock Magazine