Pears in Mulled Wine
- 1kg (6) firm pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 325ml red wine
- 500g granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, grated zest and juice
- 1 mulled wine spice bundle (2 cinnamon sticks, 1 whole nutmeg, 2 dried orange slices, 2 whole star anise, 6 whole cloves, 1 Indonesian vanilla pod, 1 bay leaf)
- 1 star anise
- Put pears in a saucepan, cover with boiling water and simmer for 5 minutes until tender. Drain well.
- Sterilise a 1 Ltr preserving jar.
- Put wine, sugar, lemon, mulled wine, star anise and 1 cup of water in a heavy-based saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved, and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add pears and simmer for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove pears and pack into the warmed, sterilised jar.
- Remove mulled wine spice bundle from remaining liquid but leave star anise.
- Pour over the pears, covering completely. Leave a 1cm gap between the top of the liquid and the lid. Tap the jar lightly on the work surface to remove any air bubbles. Fit rubber band or metal lid and seal jar. If using a screwband jar, loosen by a quarter-turn.
- Label and leave to cool completely before storing in the refrigerator. Eat within 1 month.
- Best served by itself or with cold turkey.