Pan-Fried Gilthead Bream
Serves: 4 (starter size)
- Gilthead bream fillets 50g x 4
- Sunflower oil 2 tbsp
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- PEA PANCAKES
- Peas 225g fresh or frozen (cooked until tender)
- Egg 1
- Egg yolk 1
- Double cream 112ml
- Plain flour 3 tbsp
- Butter 2 tbsp
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- SPICED AUBERGINE PUREE
- Fresh aubergines 500g
- Sun-dried tomatoes 2 tbsp
- Small onion 1 finely diced about 50g
- Spring onions 2 chopped
- Garlic clove 1 finely diced
- Ground cumin to taste
- Fresh coriander 1 small bunch, chopped
- Honey 1 tsp
- Heat a heavy duty frying pan. Add the sunflower oil and place the gilthead bream fillets in to the pan. Sear until the skin is crispy.
- Turn and cook for 1 minute or until the fish is cooked.
- PEA PANCAKES
- Drain the peas and in a food processor, combine peas, egg yolk, cream, and flour to form a smooth batter. Refrigerate until required.
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan. Place 1 tbsp of batter for each pancake in the pan and cook on both sides until the edges are brown. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- LIGHTLY SPICED AUBERGINE PUREE
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthwise, brush with olive oil, lie on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Once cool, scoop pulp away from the skin, discard the skin. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to cook for one minute. Do not allow the garlic to brown.
- Add the cumin, honey, salt and pepper and aubergine pulp, mix well and set aside to cool. Add the spring onions and coriander, place in a container until ready to use.
- To Serve:
Put a warm pea pancake in the centre of a pre-heated dinner plate, place a spoon of aubergine purée on top and then the gilthead bream and serve.