Seared Wood Pigeon
- Jus-Rol Twisted Corner Baskets 4
- Wood pigeons 2 (breasts only, use carcass and legs for stock)
- Small beetroots 2 (cooked and cut into a 1cm dice)
- Blackberries 50g
- Mixed leaves 50g
- Madeira 100ml
- White wine 100ml
- Shallots 2
- Garlic clove 1
- Bay leaves 2
- Thyme 4 sprigs
- Rocket handful
- Olive oil 50ml
- Seasoning Egg 1 (yolk only for glazing)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Defrost Jus-Rol baskets on baking sheet. After a few minutes, prick centre well and fold sides over. Brush with egg yolk, bake for 12 minutes, until golden.
- Thinly slice shallots and garlic, gently fry, add white wine, Madeira, herbs and slowly reduce.
- Blend rocket, olive oil and seasoning to make rocket oil for dressing.
- Sear the pigeon in a very hot pan with a little oil for 1 to 2 minutes on each sides. Remove whilst still rare and rest.
- Strain sauce through a chinoise.
- To serve, slice pigeon, arrange in basket and dress with sauce. Garnish with mixed leaves, arrange diced beetroot and blackberries around plate and drizzle rocket oil.