Wild Mushroom Stroganoff
- Potatoes 675g peeled and cut into chunks
- Milk or soya milk 150ml
- Fresh mixed herbs 1tbsp finely chopped
- Butter or margarine 40g
- White mushrooms 450g assorted, roughly chopped
- Garlic 2 cloves, crushed
- Double cream 150ml
- Breadcrumbs 50g fresh white
- Fresh herbs 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Boil or steam the potatoes until tender. Drain and return to the pan.
- Heat the milk, pour over the potatoes and mash well.
- Stir in the herbs and season to taste.
- Melt 15g butter or margarine in a pan. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, season to taste then heat gently - cover and keep warm.
- Melt the remaining 25g of butter or margarine in a pan and stir in the breadcrumbs, herbs and season to taste.
- To assemble, serve individually by placing equal portions of the mashed potato on each plate. Spoon the mushroom sauce over the top, and finish with the topping.
- Toast under a hot grill until golden brown.